One subway stop past Myeong-dong, where I went shopping the other day and saw lots of trendy boutique-y type stores, was Namdae-mun...an ENTIRELY different world! Literally across the street from fairly upscale shopping was craziness at its finest and I LOVED it. Outdoor vendors had tables piled to the max with sweaters, sunglasses, hats, bags, bags, and more bags. Little old ladies were selling nuts (I found cashews!), strange looking sea vegetables, and dried grubs--salted. I even saw jerky made out of octopus legs!
Bags hanging to the left, food being cooked to the right
Down a main drag of the market--sorry it's blurry!
Roots growing in jars at medicinal shop
Cool building near the market
Colorful!
I bought a knock-off LeSportSac backpack right off the bat, and a squishy strawberry pillow. Being in a more touristy area, we ran into more shop keepers who could tell us prices in English, which was nice. I even heard a couple of women speaking German down there! Don't give up on me, though...I'm planning on starting Korean lessons this month, if all goes well...then there'll be no stopping me!
Your photos are great and then narrative is pure wonderful Annie! Hope you can keep up the pace. Dr Ellis
ReplyDelete