"You pick it up first!" said Rebecca. I reached down and gingerly plucked the starfish from the freshly exposed ocean floor. I have no problem picking up random sea life...in fact, I was suddenly reminded of being 6 years old and playing with my big brother and 3 of his friends, the Chapman brothers, one hot summer day in Tennessee. In the midst of our imaginative play, we stumbled upon one of the boy's koi fish, which had gotten a little too enthusiastic doing its jumping tricks and was now roasting on the hot, parched sidewalk. The boys stared at it perplexed, wondering what to do. Even though its skin was already drying out, its lips were blowing tiny kisses into the air. It was still alive and I could practically hear it screaming for help as the 4 boys frantically discussed what should be done. "What are you DOING?!" I shouted, horrified. This wasn't time for discussion--it was time for action! The solution was clear anyway. I pushed through the boys, picked up the large fish using both of my little hands, and plopped him back into his pond. The boys were relieved and the fish lived a long and happy life. They even thanked me for saving their fish...and if you think 10 year old boys often thank 6 year old little girls, you're probably wrong.
Now, here I was, examining a starfish's underbelly with my two friends, Kim and Rebecca. "That's where the mouth is--that's where you don't want to touch it," I pointed out to them.
"It's like watching the Discovery Channel," laughed Kim. A couple of snapshots later and we placed the small sea star back into the water, out of harm's way.
| A little girl showing off the starfish she had found, just like ours |
I continued to walk along with the crowd towards the island. We had gotten a bit of an early start, and were therefore treading water part of the way where the ocean hadn't completely parted. Our thigh-high yellow rubber boots we had rented weren't much thicker than a pair of rubber gloves, allowing us to feel the sharp pokes and prods of various bits of coral rock and seashells. I was ahead of Kim and Rebecca, who were clinging to each other as they struggled to forge ahead.
| Kim and Rebecca |
"Look at Annie--she's like a pro!" Kim said, admiring my ability to move through the water with style and grace. I realized then that the 5-year section of my early childhood spent in Tennessee was really paying off. My brother and I, fascinated with nature, had spent many of our waking hours in our parents' oversized rubber boots, treading through rapidly flowing creeks and streams, foraging for salamanders and crawfish. This felt like familiar territory.
All around us were people...tourists like us who had come to witness the "Moses Miracle," and locals who were taking advantage of the event as the perfect time to collect fresh clams and sea vegetables. They crouched down over the sea floor with little picks, digging up tiny clams to take home. Back on the island, some were eating them right there on the spot. Even though the actual "festival" had been canceled, this was obviously a big event for this small town. The rainbow-shaped path was a sea of rubber boots and empty clam shells.
| Walking along the path before the seas are fully parted |
As we departed the endlessly large city of Seoul, I soaked up the delicious views of the forgetfully dreary March morning. I watched the soft, rolling hills float past, covered in tall brown grasses and mottled with varying deciduous and evergreen trees. "We could be in North Carolina right now," I thought to myself, noticing the familiar terrain I had never before lain my eyes upon. The occasional small houses with upturned roofs reminded me otherwise. I smiled.
| Enjoying the bus ride |
| Our hotel room :) |
| Rebecca, Kim, and I after having walked the ocean's floor |
Back at the hotel, I changed my socks and pants, which were wet, and we went out for dinner at a place called "Pasta" where you could get "spaghetties." The menu was entirely in Korean, but another English-speaking couple came in and was able to decipher it for us. I pointed to the Korean word for "vegetarian" in Rebecca's phrasebook to get something for myself. She brought me spaghetties with tomato sauce and mushrooms. Oh, and some kimchi! Our bellies were happy. Next, it was off to bed.
We rolled out the mats and settled in with our rock-hard bean-filled pillows. Luckily, our beds at home are pretty hard and for me, at least, the sleep was only slightly uncomfortable. I woke up a couple times with my crushed ears burning a bit, but went right back to sleep.
This morning we woke up early and walked back to the bus stop. "Seoul," we told the man at the window. He gave us our tickets and we made our way to the back of the bus. I sat back, relaxed, and blasted the Yeah Yeah Yeahs on my iPod once again...."...Man, they like me, 'cause I'm a warrior, a warrior..."
Love your writing!
ReplyDelete-Beckie :)
That is so awesome. Seas part- how crazy. That is one adventure I would like to be a part of. Glad you got to go.
ReplyDeleteanother great one
ReplyDeleteI love the thought of only you and Moses being able to part the seas. Being of Hillbilly Tennessee heritage/experience will get you into and out of places all over the world. Concurrently, it won't enable you to walk on the water, but will help with negotiating rough going under the water. Nice accounting of your experience. Thanks, RFE
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun adventure! So many neat things to see and do in the world! Glad you are discovering some of them!
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
Oh my god I want to part the seas and get me some seafood right now!
ReplyDelete