Friday, February 24, 2012

Changes


Wait...where have I been?

"Forever" and "two seconds" have become one and the same to me.  It's really weird.  I feel like it's been forever since I've written a post...but the last time I wrote was when Kim left, and that was like, two seconds ago.

So what have I been doing?  Playing "hair shop," singing songs, reading Sneetches, zipping up jackets, tying scarves, drawing pictures, putting on bandaids, getting ice packs, tripping over little shoes, getting sneezed on, rolling around on the floor, picking up toys, laughing, waving, giving hugs, smiling endlessly, working on getting that wrinkle between my eyebrows, gossiping, watching fabulously filthy American reality TV shows that make me proud to come from such a hilariously entertaining country, working hard, etc., etc., etc.

Oh, and I've been sick.  I'm just recovering from my third cold since Christmas...and this last one was bad.  That's got to be some sort of record for me...usually my immune system is stellar.  This last cold had me questioning whether or not it was possible to catch HIV from looking at puddles of blood in murder tunnels.  But I've probably never been spit, sneezed, or coughed on by unfamiliar foreign diseases so much in my life, either.  And then there's the vitamin thing.  By the way...I've been taking those vitamins and I'm pretty sure they're already helping.  I'll be totally sure once I'm not hacking up a lung.


For the past few weeks, I've either been here...

...or here, with my happy humidifier on full-blast.

Oh yeah...and it's been cold.  I know my Alaskan, Canadian, and Minnesotan friends are scoffing at this...but y'all...I'm just a Tennessee girl!  I did a double-take the morning I looked at my LG Optimus Big smartphone and it said 0°.

"Wait...when did this switch back to Celsius?" I thought to my American self.  I clicked on it to get into the settings and change it back to the familiar.

It hadn't switched to Celsius.

"WTF DOES THAT EVEN MEAN???" I wondered incredulously.  Then I noticed the "Real Feel" temperature was at -7°.  "FAHRENHEIT CAN GO NEGATIVE???"


I'm really not kidding...I had never even heard of such a thing.  Was my blood going to freeze when I walked outside?  The water on my eyeballs?  Wait, no.  I was sure it wouldn't.  I remembered back on the tales my Canadian friends had once told of weather going to below -30°C...that still had to be colder...and they were alive still.

I bundled up and walked to the bus stop.  And I'm pretty sure I learned why Asians' eyes have evolved like they have...but I didn't die.  My eyes watered like crazy in that cold wind.  Tears would stream, even.  Same with my other foreign friends.  Our eyes are open too wide and round, and our lids aren't thick enough.  I'm convinced of it.  Just like my skin's not dark enough to live in the States.  Ha!  I've hardly ever lived in the part of the world I'm evolved for.  Nothing I can't handle.

This is pretty, but we all know what's going to happen tomorrow...

Oops!  Forgot my ice skates.

I never thought 28°F would feel warm.  It did the other day...felt like Spring!

Anyways...just a little update.  It's the end of our school year here (this school year ends on Wednesday, and the new one starts next week) and I'm about to experience some fairly big changes in the next couple of weeks...but the real question is:  What am I doing this weekend?

Answer:  Packing up my entire apartment.

...to be continued



No comments:

Post a Comment